A diverse campus community is inclusive of backgrounds, religions, cultures, opinions and perspectives. At CMU, we welcome and promote the rich tapestry of humanity — combining the collective talent and knowledge of students, faculty and staff from all walks of life.
That diversity prepares students to compete and live in a global society. Our vision states that, “Central Michigan University, an inclusive community of scholars, is a national leader in higher education, inspiring excellence and innovation.”
We support this commitment with the Office for Institutional Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, the Office of Diversity Education and the Office of Civil Rights and Institutional Equity. We offer a number of organizations, programs and activities to support and engage our campus, future and current students, faculty, and staff, as well as the greater community.
THE GREAT TASK BEFORE US - President Davies May 31, 2020 blog post addresses George Floyd's murder and CMU's response based on our core values.
At Central Michigan University, we:
- Stand in solidarity with Black and African American communities, because Black Lives Matter.
- Acknowledge the ongoing racial disparities and injustices challenging people and communities of color in our country and here on our campus.
- Accept the responsibility to listen, learn and take action.
We do this because we:
- Embrace our core values of integrity, respect, compassion, inclusiveness, social responsibility, excellence and innovation.
- Know that diversity, equity and inclusion strengthen our community of scholars.
- Expect accountability from every member of our community.
And so, moving forward we will:
- Actively invite feedback from all members of our community.
- Review our policies and practices to seek opportunities for improvement.
- Promote the open exchange of ideas by inviting curiosity and asking respectful questions.