Enrollment Status

Enrollment Status

Students must enroll at CMU each semester to receive financial aid funds for that semester. Minimum enrollment requirements vary by financial aid program. Please contact the OSFA if you plan to enroll for less than full-time status.


Undergraduate Graduate
Full-time 12 hours 9 hours
Three-quarter time 9-11 hours n/a
Half-time 6-8 hours 5 hours
Less-than-half-time 1-5 hours 1-4 hours

Repeated Coursework


A new federal regulation limits the number of times a student may repeat a course and receive financial aid for that course.
  • A student may receive aid when repeating a course that was previously failed regardless of the number of times the course was attempted and failed.
  • A student may receive aid to repeat a previously passed course one additional time.
  • Once a student has completed any course twice with a passing grade, he/she is no longer eligible to receive aid for that course.
  • If a student retakes a course that is not aid eligible, the credit hours will be excluded from the total enrollment for the semester.
  • This rule applies whether or not the student received aid for earlier enrollments in the course.
  • Students will receive notification if they are aid applicants and attempt to repeat coursework beyond the limits.
  1. Allowable:  Repeated coursework may be included if the student received a failing grade.  There is no limit on the number of repeats if the student does not pass the class (although there is a University policy limiting the number of repeats to 3).
  2. Allowable:  Student took Biology 101 and received a failing grade.  The student repeats the class and receives a grade of D.  Because the student has now passed the class, he/she may repeat it one more time and receive financial aid.  If repeated again (3rd time), the credit hours for the course will not be counted in enrollment for that semester.
  3. Not Allowable:  Student receives a D in a course which does not have a minimum grade requirement for the major and decides to repeat the course to improve his/her GPA.  The student may repeat this passed course one time but if the student wants to repeat it a second time, the second repeat would not count for financial aid eligibility.
  4. Allowable:  Courses that are intended to be repeated multiple times such as Marching Band, Independent Study, Special Topics, Thesis and Dissertation.

Withdrawing from or never attending classes

If you are a financial aid recipient and you drop some of your classes during the drop/add period (or indicate you never attended some of your classes), you may lose some or all of your financial aid eligibility. Before withdrawing, we suggest you speak with a financial aid counselor. Your enrollment status for financial aid purposes is determined as of the 9th day of classes each semester (file close).
If you are a financial aid recipient and you drop all of your classes prior to start of the semester (or indicate you never attended), you are no longer eligible for financial aid for that semester. All scholarship, grant and loan payments (and refunds of financial aid) must be returned to Central Michigan University.

If you are a federal financial aid recipient and you completely withdraw from all your classes after the beginning of the semester, the law requires that the amount of federal aid earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula. If you receive more federal aid than you have earned, the excess aid must be returned. The amount of federal aid you have earned is determined on a pro-rata basis. That is, if you completed 30 percent of the semester, you earn 30 percent of the federal aid you received. Once you have completed more than 60 percent of the semester, you earn all of your federal aid. If you are a recipient of University funds and you completely withdraw from all of your classes after the beginning of the semester, your funds will be reduced by the percentage of tuition refunded.
In accordance with federal and state regulations, the financial aid office must also monitor your academic progress at the end of each semester. If you withdraw from any of your classes, this may cause you to be in unsatisfactory academic progress for financial aid purposes. Students not making satisfactory progress may lose financial aid eligibility for future semesters. Reinstatement of financial aid may be considered by filing a Satisfactory Progress Appeal form


Instructors of any course in which a failing grade is assigned are required to provide the last date you attended the class or that you never attended the class. If the instructor verifies that the final exam was taken, no adjustment will be made to your financial aid for that semester. If the instructor indicates that you never attended the class, the OSFA will review your enrollment status and your eligibility for financial aid may be adjusted if you fall below full-time, three-quarter time, half-time or less-than-half-time status.


1200 S. Franklin St • Mount Pleasant, Mich. 48859
Phone: 989-774-4000

CMU is an AA/EO institution, providing equal opportunity to all persons, including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. | CentralLink
Copyright Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Mich. 48859 | Phone 989-774-4000 | Privacy Policy | Feedback | Full Site