Financial Aid for SUMMER Attendance

You must complete a CMU Summer Financial Aid Application or a Summer Study Abroad Application to apply for financial aid to cover your expenses associated with attending CMU, on-campus, summer school courses.  Applicants will be packaged accordingly if they meet any one or all of the following criteria:

  • remaining 2013-2014 Pell Grant eligibility.
  • remaining federal student 2013-2014 loan eligibility.
  • requested a Federal Work Study award  and have filed a 2014-2015 FAFSA.
  • You (and/or your parents) may also be eligible for the federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students and alternative loans from private lenders.  Undergraduate students must be enrolled in 6 credit hours and graduate students must be enrolled in 5 credit hours to be eligible for summer financial aid; credit hours in both the First and Second Sessions may be added together to meet the minimum.
  • You must have graduated from high school prior to May, 2014 and have regular admission to a degree seeking program.

Graduate students may be eligible for the federal GRAD/Professional (PLUS) Loan or alternative loans from private lenders.

Guest students attending CMU Summer Sessions are not eligible for aid from CMU.

Due to changes in the federal budget, Summer Pell is no longer available for most students. Only students who did not use their full Pell during Fall 2013-Spring 2014 attendance will be eligible for any "leftover" Pell for the summer semester.

When to apply

You must file the FAFSA for the appropriate aid year. At CMU summer is considered the "trailer" of the year (fall, spring and then summer semester make up the aid year). In order to receive financial aid for summer 2014, you must file the 2013-2014 FAFSA by June 30, 2014.

How to apply for summer aid

You must complete a summer aid application even if you indicated on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) that you planned to attend summer semester.

Summer aid may be prorated based on your enrollment

Since enrollment periods vary during the summer (a course may last a few days or all summer) your aid may be prorated based on YOUR summer enrollment period. Also, summer disbursement cannot occur until 10 days prior to YOUR first day of summer enrollment.

Summer Aid Disbursement

Summer aid has special rules and consequences. Please read all information below and contact us if you have any questions.

  • All Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans require you to be enrolled at least half-time.
  • YOUR summer disbursement date is 10 days prior to the starting date of YOUR earliest starting summer class. This means, for instance, that if you are attending only during Summer II your disbursement will not occur until 10 days prior June 23, 2014.
  • The length of your summer enrollment determines the room and board portion of your financial aid budget. If a change in your enrollment results in a shorter period of enrollment, your aid might have to be reduced. Enrollment is monitored throughout the summer.
  • The amount of aid OFFERED to you is based on half-time enrollment. If you have remaining Pell Grant eligibility, your Pell Grant will be disbursed based on your actual enrollment, e.g., full-time, three-quarter time, half time, or less-than-half time.



1200 S. Franklin St • Mount Pleasant, Mich. 48859
Phone: 989-774-4000

CMU is an AA/EO institution, providing equal opportunity to all persons, including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. | CentralLink
Copyright Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Mich. 48859 | Phone 989-774-4000 | Privacy Policy | Feedback | Full Site