Military Veterans and Students on Active Duty

​Central Michigan University would like to thank you for your service to our nation.  As you consider your future, CMU is here to help you successfully pursue your educational endeavors.  Whether you are actively serving in the military, or you are in the reserves, a veteran, or a military family member, we are very proud that you are considering CMU and we look forward to having your join the CMU family.

We are committed to supporting you, as we do all students, while you invest in your education.  As military and veterans students, you have access to a great support system at CMU and a number of valuable resources, which you can find here:  Veterans Resource Center

CMU policies in place for veterans

  • CMU will readmit a service member who must suspend attendance for a short period of time.
  • CMU has a refund policy in place for students who withdraw prior to completing all courses due to military deployment.  
  • CMU recognizes and adheres to the Principals of Excellence

Financial Aid for Veterans and Their Dependents

Information about grants and scholarships for you or family members of military personal is available on the Federal Student Aid website:

Financial Aid Eligibility

  • In addition to any military benefits you receive, you may qualify for loans or other assistance under Title IV, such as Federal grants, Federal Stafford loans, Federal Parent PLUS , Graduate PLUS and Federal Perkins loans.
  • Federal Pell grant award amounts for the 2014-2015 award year range from $588 to $5730.
  • Federal loan amounts are based on your enrollment status and other factors
  • Federal work –study funds can provide an opportunity for students with high need to earn money to assist with their expenses.
  • To apply for Federal grants and loans you must file the annual Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at
  • When considering student loans, keep in mind that the terms and conditions of Federal loans may be more favorable than the provisions of private education loans.


Education Benefit Programs

  • If you served on Active Duty, you might be eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs.  For example, the Post 9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for educational and housing expenses to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2011, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.  You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill.
  • If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program.  Check your eligibility status and the amount for which you qualify with your Service prior to enrolling. 
  • If you are the spouse or child of a service member who is serving on active duty Title 10 orders in the pay grades of E1-E5, O1-O2, or W1-W2, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the Department of Defense for education, training, and/or the occupational license and credentials necessary for a portable career.
  • If you are the spouse of child of a service member, you may be eligible for transfer of the service member's Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to you.   

Federal Shopping Sheet

The federal shopping sheet was created to help students compare college financial aid offers.  CMU has made this tool available through our secure student portal at  Other college comparison tools can be found at

CMU is an AA/EO institution, providing equal opportunity to all persons, including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. | CentralLink
Copyright Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Mich. 48859 | Phone 989-774-4000 | Privacy Policy | Feedback | Full Site