Surplus/Salvage Equipment

Surplus Equipment
Items that are no longer needed or required in a university department should be declared surplus. If your department has surplus items please contact Moving & Delivery at (989)774-3917 or submit a Moving Request and our department will remove your unwanted items. Surplus items that are in good condition (i.e. general office furniture, bookcases and file cabinets) will be stored and made available to other University departments. Items in poor condition or items that are unusable will be sold through public sale. Departments interested in surplus property should contact University Stores. Surplus items can be viewed once per week by appointment. Surplus equipment is distributed to university departments on a first come, first serve basis, at little or no cost.  

Salvage Equipment
Equipment or assets that have been deemed no longer fit for use or no longer useful are considered Salvage. All salvage equipment is sold through one of three methods: Monthly Public Surplus Sales, Annual Auction or Online Auction. The Fixed Assets department is responsible for arranging all aspects of salvage sales.

In order for salvage items to be removed from a departmental equipment inventory the items must be turned in for public sale by submitting a Moving Re​quest. All items must be turned in for sale even if they are broken, cannibalized or in non-working condition. For specific information regarding equipment sales please view the Surplus Sales page on this web site  

Equipment Disposal or Sale
The Fixed Assets Department is responsible for the disposal or sale of all university equipment. Fixed Assets is charged with the responsibility of making sure that the sale of all equipment is properly documented and that a fair market price for goods sold is received by the university. Any department interested in selling equipment or assets should contact the Fixed Assets Department at (989) 774-3917.

Stolen Equipment
University Departments that experience any theft are strongly encouraged to file a police report. The police report should be filed as soon as the theft is discovered. In order for items to be removed from a departmental equipment inventory as stolen university departments must provide a police report number, the date the report was completed and the specific equipment by tag number that was stolen. This policy is closely followed and is in place to ensure correct property management practices.