University Vehicles

Driving Record Check Form

To submit a driving record check, please review the vehicle policies and procedures below, then submit the form here:

Driving Record Check Submission Form

NOTE: If submitting for out-of-state license, please download this Driving Record Affidavit, and attach it to the submission form. 

Policies and Procedures

​​​​Listed below are University policies and procedures related to vehicle usage when driving on University business and for University sponsored events. These policies and procedures have been established to support the safety of CMU drivers.
     · Faculty

     · Staff

     · Students
Employees, who are assigned to drive a University-owned, rented or leased vehicle to perform any CMU assigned tasks, must have their driving record checked annually. Risk Management is responsible for requesting driving records from the state and relaying results to the requesting department.
Please click here for "Authorization to Drive for University Business Purposes"
Non-Employee Students / Volunteers University-owned, rented or leased vehicles may not be used by non-employed students / volunteers unless approved by the requesting Department Chair or equivalent and their driving record has been checked by Risk Management.
Student Clubs / Sports Clubs and/or RSO Organizations University-owned, rented or leased vehicles may not be used by Student Clubs / Sports Clubs and/or Registered Student Organizations (RSO's).
Michigan Driving Record Check Risk Management checks driving records once annually and trust the faculty/staff, grad assistant, student or individual will inform the department if they receive citations that would prohibit them from driving a CMU vehicle.
Please click here for Michigan Driving Record
Out of State Driving Record Check  Individuals with an out of state drivers license, who need to drive for University business purposes are required to fill out a Driving Record Affidavit.  Risk Management then coordinates with an outside firm for the driving record report.

Click here for a copy of the Driving Record Affidavit.
All Approved Drivers An individual driving a University-owned vehicle must have a valid, ​unrestricted U.S. drivers' license, with proper class and endorsements listed for the vehicle(s) to be operated and must have a satisfactory driving record.

Additionally, an individual driving his/her personal vehicle with passengers for business related purposes must also have a valid, unrestricted U.S. drivers' license, with proper class and endorsements listed for the vehicle to be operated and must have a satisfactory driving record.

The responsibility for enforcing these requirements rests with the Department Chairperson or equivalent.

NOTE: Departments can obtain driving records through the Office of Risk Management. There is no charge for Michigan driving record checks.

For requests, allow 7 business days. Please click here for the Michigan Driver Record Request form.

Drivers on University business travel are expected to observe all posted speed limits and to operate vehicles in accordance with applicable laws and state regulations.

Drivers and all passengers in vehicles must wear safety belts.

All drivers are prohibited from using hand held cell phones or texting while driving.

Don't drive tired (6 hours max).

Rest Stops (Recommended every 2 hours).

Use of 15 Passenger Vans is PROHIBITED.
University Owned Vehicles
(Includes Long Term Leased
Automobile Liability insurance provides coverage for the University and its authorized drivers for claims or negligence which results in damage to property of others or bodily injury to third parties within the limits of the Michigan No-Fault Act.

Physical Damage (collision) insurance covers damage to University owned vehicles, subject to a deductible. Funding of the Physical Damage deductible is the responsibility of the department.

All accidents must be reported to the Office of Risk Management so that a claim may be filed if appropriate under the Michigan No-Fault Act.

Departments are responsible for service, maintenance and inspection of vehicles.
Rental Vehicles

The University's Auto Liability coverage is excess of any other valid and collectible coverage.

The University does not carry Physical Damage (collision) coverage for rental vehicles.

University policy states that any vehicle rented for business use must have Physical Damage (collision) Insurance. Your options are:  
     • PNC Bank's Purchasing Card (CMU Business VISA)
     • Purchase insurance through the Rental/Leasing Agency    
     • Personal Credit Card

In the event a department rents or leases a vehicle and does not arrange for Physical Damage (collision) insurance, AND the vehicle is damaged, the Department is responsible for damage payment out of their departmental funds.

PNC Bank's Card Benefits Package - Rental Insurance Coverage Highlights:

     • Available to Enrolled Cardholder and named additional drivers
     • No charge for insurance
     • Primary coverage (no deductible)
     • Can cover vehicles rented for up to 31 consecutive days
     • Insures up to minivans designed to accommodate 8 people

Rental Agency or Personal Credit Card Insurance Policies:
Questions about rental agency insurance policies should be referred directly to agency representatives.

Employees using their own personal credit cards are advised to contact their credit card office regarding available rental auto insurance.

Privately Owned Vehicles CMU employees using their personal vehicles for University related business should be aware of the following:

     • CMU does not carry Physical Damage (collision) insurance for your personal vehicle.

     • CMU's Auto Liability coverage is secondary to your own personal auto insurance.

Regarding your own personal auto insurance policy coverage, please see your personal auto agent for policy specifics and exclusions.

Please Note: You are entitled to the standard mileage reimbursement rate when your personal vehicle is used to perform University business. Mileage reimbursement is intended to cover the cost of depreciation of the car, gas, oil, maintenance and insurance.

It is advisable that all employees who use their personal automobiles on University business purchase adequate insurance.
15 Passenger Vans Due to warnings issued by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and requirements of the University's auto insurance carriers, 15 passenger vans are not an acceptable mode of travel for CMU business purposes (including class trips, intercollegiate sports, academic trips, research travel, etc.)

15 Passenger Vans are generally excluded from coverage under CMU's auto policies.

Please see the following sites for more information regarding 15 Passenger Vans:


Accident Reporting Report the accident to the appropriate authorities. If on campus, contact CMU Police
(989-774-3081). If off-campus, contact the nearest police authority.

CMU Owned Vehicle:
Click here for M.U.S.I.C. Motor Vehicle Loss Report
Click here for 10 Steps to Aid You Following an Auto Accident
Click here for a list of Auto Repair Facilities

Rented Vehicles Paid for with CMU Business VISA
Immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 to report the loss. If you are outside the United States, call collect at 0-410-581-9994. The Benefit Administrator will answer any questions you or the car rental agency may have and will send you a claim form.

YOU, the cardholder, are responsible for reporting your claim to the VISA Benefit Administrator within 45 days of the incident or your claim will be denied. Claim form and any other required documentation must be submitted to the VISA  Benefit Administrator within 90 days of the incident or the claim will not be honored.

We recommend you carry a copy of the Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver with you.

Click here for a list of FAQ's regarding PNC Bank's VISA Auto Insurance.

Accidents involving injuries to employees must also be reported to CMU Workers Compensation at (989-774-7177)