What happens to my benefits while I'm on a leave of absence?
If you are an employee on a paid leave of absence:
- Your benefits will continue as normal.
- University contributions and your contributions will continue to be applied and will appear on each payroll check.
If you are an employee on an unpaid leave of absence:
may continue all, continue a portion, cancel all, or cancel a portion
of your current benefit elections. Please return a status change form
within 30 days of your unpaid leave if you wish to make any changes to
benefits (this is a prospective change).
If your unpaid leave of absence qualifies as FML:
university contributions will continue through the end of your approved
and available FML time, but you will need to pay the employee portion
of the benefit premiums for medical, prescription drug, dental and the entire premium cost for vision, employee life, long-term and short-term
disability, spouse and child life insurance (if applicable) until you
return to active work.
- If you do not
return from leave for at least 30 days, you will be responsible for
reimbursing the university for health and/or dental premiums paid on
your behalf while you were on an unpaid leave (see i. in the Notice of Eligibility - Rights & Responsibilities for exceptions).
If you continue on an unpaid leave of absence and FML is no longer available:
- You will be responsible for paying the full benefit premiums (both your contribution and the university contribution).
How do I know how much I will owe and how do I make payments?
will receive a personalized letter with your cost for your benefits
while on leave.
- Checks or money orders should be made payable to Central Michigan University.
- Payments may be mailed to or dropped off at the Benefits & Wellness Office in Rowe 108 by 5:00pm on or before the 1st day of each month.
What happens to my benefits when I return to work?
the time you return to active work, all benefits you elected for the
current benefit plan year (including those benefits you may have
cancelled while on an unpaid leave) will be re-activated by the Benefits
& Wellness Office.
- If you return to work in the next fiscal/plan year and have cancelled some or all of your benefits, please contact the Benefits office regarding restarting your benefits.